Volkswagen OEM vs Replacement Parts
The time has come for you to purchase some parts for your beloved Volkswagen vehicle. Automotive maintenance is vital, so you want to be certain that you’re making the best decision possible.
That leaves many Volkswagen owners with a daunting question, “Should I go with OEM parts or replacement parts?”
Our team at the Norm Reeves Volkswagen Superstore Irvine wrote this guide to OEM parts vs. replacement parts for our customers in Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, and Newport Beach.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to our knowledgeable team.
Volkswagen OEM Parts
OEM parts stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer parts. This means that the part was designed and produced by the exact same company that created the original part for your vehicle.
Here are some of the advantages of Volkswagen OEM parts:
- Most of them come with a warranty, sometimes up to one year.
- They’re high-quality equipment, as it’s manufactured the same as the part you’re replacing.
- They’re easy to find, as your local Volkswagen parts department should carry them.
Here are some of the drawbacks of Volkswagen OEM parts:
- The cost: OEM parts can be up to 60% more expensive than replacement parts.
- Limited availability: It’s most common to find them at the dealership, rather than other sources.
Volkswagen Replacement Parts
Replacement parts are also known as aftermarket parts. This means that the parts were engineered by a different company, rather than the initial manufacturer.
Here are some of the benefits of Volkswagen replacement parts:
- Less expensive: You can save lots of money from brand to brand.
- Sometimes, the quality can be greater than OEM parts.
- Variety: Many companies make aftermarket parts, while only one makes any given OEM part.
- Availability: You can find them online or at various auto shops.
Here are some of the drawbacks of Volkswagen replacement parts:
- Some shoppers can find the selection overwhelming, especially if they’re unfamiliar with parts.
- Some of these parts don’t come with a warranty.
- These parts are more likely to not be manufacturer-recommended, and may not be as efficient for your Volkswagen as OEM parts.
Other Varieties: Genuine, Rebuilt, Refurbished, or Used
Besides OEM and replacement parts, there are a few other classifications out there. We think it could be helpful to be aware of these.
Genuine Volkswagen parts: These are the same as OEM parts, except the box is stamped with the Volkswagen logo.
Rebuilt Volkswagen parts: These are also called remanufactured. They’re used parts that are deconstructed and refitted for optimal performance.
Refurbished Volkswagen parts: These are also called reconditioned. They’re used parts that have merely been cleaned and touched up a bit.
Used Volkswagen parts: These are also called recycled. They’re used parts that haven’t undergone any maintenance, repairs, or cleaning.
Buy Parts Online: Norm Reeves Volkswagen Superstore Irvine
If you’re looking to find the perfect OEM or replacement part for your Volkswagen, you can do so at Norm Reeves Volkswagen Superstore Irvine.
Drivers in Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, and Newport Beach should contact us today. Just call, chat with us online, or stop by our parts department.